Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SOCOM: Confrontation Review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sitic
EG n00b
EG n00b

SOCOM: Confrontation Review Empty
PostSubject: SOCOM: Confrontation Review   SOCOM: Confrontation Review EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 12:04 am

Summary: SOCOM has always had loyal fans, and for good reason. It was one of the first truly great online games, in fact it was one of the first online games at all. At least for console players it was. Confrontation is the first leap to this generation, and it has a lot to deliver to the fans. Although it does have it's flaws, it is a fun game, and if you are a tactical player, who wishes to work with teammates to win then there is nothing else to compete with this game. Lots of microphone holders seeing as there is a package that includes a Blutooth headset with it, which happens to be the new PlayStation 3's official headset. Lots of interesting little developements in this installment, but it does include some struggles with lag, and console freezing at times.
Graphics have never truly been a strong suit of the SOCOM series, the main component of SOCOM has always, and forever shall remain in the gameplay, and community features. Confrontation is no exception to this trend, the graphics are comparable to games like Grand Theft Auto IV, or Warhawk. They aren't truly intended to be great, but they are good enough to pass as next-gen, and that will have to do. It does have occasional frame rate drops, but it's not as often of an occurrence as it has been in previous games. To summarize, the graphics are not the major selling point here, not even by a stretch, don't buy this game expecting a great artistic masterpiece.
-------------------------
Graphics: 6.5/10
+It can pass as a next-gen game.
-There is nothing ground breaking, or truly special about the visuals.
Gameplay of SOCOM as I said before is the truly great part. It has a mostly classic SOCOM feel to it, but in parts Slant Six has just completely changed it. Some of these updated and new features include the proxiimity mic feature, which allows people to hear you talking even if you are not pressing the chat button. This includes the other team, so you have to be careful about how loud you are or you will give away you, and/or your teammates position! Another new addition which has become quite the norm in this gen is the sprint button, allowing you to well... sprint. It makes for faster gameplay, and some sticky situations if you happen to run into someone while sprinting! One other addition that is notable is the knife, you can now knife someone for a great kill to really slap 'em in the face! It is an interesting element, and it adds a whole close quarter fighting mentality to your head. Some old SOCOM game problems such as quick sniping have been fixed so that they will not plague the game, which is very nice for those who were aggravated by it in the past. If you absolutely need a reason to buy this game, it would be for gameplay, it is definitely the main selling point here, and it is what Slant Six clearly spent the most time on.
Gameplay: 9/10
+Classic feel of SOCOM, with upgraded and updated features.
+Proximity chat is a great addition and it really adds a new element to the game.
+/- Sprint can work with or against you in small maps, I've heard some complaints on this.
-Some feel that it is too different from the older SOCOM games.
Sound was a feature that at first I didn't much care for, or notice. But as I watched some videos on how they set it up, and actually listened to it sound is actually a pretty big feature in Confrontation. They brought in a man to play authentic African music to get the real African vibe going. What is really interesting is that based on where you are, and what is happening the music strings together to make an almost infinite amount of different songs. The developers have said that no two games will ever sound the same, which is quite possibly true. Although sometimes the songs can become a bit repetitive, it is a rare occasion in my opinion.Sound is a nice part of Confrontation, it's enough to hold up to the older SOCOM's great theme songs I would say.
Sound: 8.5/10
+No two games sound the same.
+Authentic area songs,
-Soemtimes the songs can become a bit repetitive.
Final Thoughts:
Confrontation is a great addition to the series in my opinion, but again this is only my opinion. Confrontation seems to be an acquired taste, but that shouldn't stop you from going and trying it out. Just be careful about it, and go rent it first maybe. It seems that it will have very nice support from Slant Six, and that they will take care of us gamers. That was shown pretty well in the beta, and already they have started to fix the problems that are slightly plaguing the retail copy.
--Overall: 8/10--

EG elite
I Luv Haters

PostSubject: Re: SOCOM: Confrontation Review   SOCOM: Confrontation Review EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 4:36 am

I always loved the SOCOM games. I've been playing them since the first one. It sounds cool but can you post some pictures?
Back to top Go down
http://elixir.omgforum.net
Abyss
EG elite
EG elite
Abyss

PostSubject: Re: SOCOM: Confrontation Review   SOCOM: Confrontation Review EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 pm

How many games do you have man?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOCOM: Confrontation Review   SOCOM: Confrontation Review Empty

Back to top Go down

SOCOM: Confrontation Review
Page 1 of 1